Monday 11 January 2010

The Great Ticketmaster Swindle

Yesterday I received an email ‘congratulating’ me on taking out Missed Event Insurance . At first I thought it was a scam email, and laughed at the ‘attached document’ it wanted me to open. I was about to assign it to my deleted items when something caught my eye. The email address said: ticketmasterenquiries@mondial-assistance.co.uk.

A couple of days before I had bought some gig tickets from Ticketmaster. Maybe this was a genuine email after all. However I certainly didn’t remember asking for event insurance, and at over £5 for a £20 ticket it wasn’t exactly a bargain.

I decided to do a search on the issue and found a few others on the blogosphere similarly surprised to receive an email from Mondial. One blogger had apparently complained to Ticketmaster and received as response from them saying:

The scenario you described was quite alarming to us and I want you to know that I have looked into it. I can assure you that we do not automatically charge people for the insurance. This type of “opt out” marketing practice is not used on Ticketmaster’s website. Each ticket purchaser is given the option to purchase or not purchase insurance.

This blog was written over a year ago.

When I called up about it the girl on the phone said: “Yeah, this happens quite often “ with out any sense of irony. She did offer to refund the money, but warned me it would take 5-10 days to do so. It always makes me laugh that it takes them only a few days to take the money out of my account, but can take nearly two weeks to put it back.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced the same problems? Please do share your thoughts or any responses you’ve had from Ticketmaster/Mondial.


No comments:

Post a Comment