Friday 29 January 2010

La Roux talks more crap

This week some poor unsuspecting blogger got thrown into the spotlight when careless comments she’d made on her blog were published, out of context, by the Daily Mail. In hindsight it’s fairly easy for me to say she was ‘careless’. I doubt she ever imagined that her blog would have been picked up by a national newspaper and used in this way. Who would?

The same can not be said of Elly Jackson from La Roux. She should know better. I mean, surely this is the first thing they teach you at pop school (isn’t it?). Despite this she seems to be making a bit of a habit of saying stupid things.

Her most famous gaff is probably the interview with The Quietus when she said that women who dress in ‘short skirts and tank tops’
“…wonder why they get beaten up, or having relationships with arsehole men. Because you attracted one, you twat.”
I’m not sure what galled me most about this comment. The sheer ignorance and misunderstanding of why domestic violence occurs, or the lack of sisterhood for victims of this horrendous crime. I wonder if Jackson also thinks the women who get stoned to death in Afganistan had it coming because they were ‘a bit slutty’?

Jackson is back again with comments that assert her ridiculousness. In an interview with 6 Music about her Brit nomination she gives an Lauren Cooper-esque type answer: Brits? Bovered? Do I look bovered?

Actually she didn’t say that, but it wasn’t far off. Her actual words, according to the BBC, were:

“You need to be involved in these things, if you weren’t you’d be annoyed and people would be like ‘You said you didn’t care’. Of course you care, but the thing is, as long as you’re happy with what you’ve done, that’s all that should matter. You shouldn’t need to have everything confirmed by an awards ceremony.”

Sorry? Run that by me again…did she just say she would be annoyed if she wasn’t nominated but she doesn’t care if she isn’t nominated? If Jackson wedges herself any further on that fence I fear for her future fertility.




This week someone told me I looked like a lady pirate, and I started making plans with a minor celebrity to take over the world



1 comment:

  1. Elly Jackson has made many misguided comments, but in a way I kind of like it. These days so many pop stars get sent to 'media training' that their comments become really boring. I like the idea of pop stars making outrageous comments and generally acting like idiots. It stops pop being bland. We don't have to agree with what they say, and besides then we can have fun laughing at their ill informed words (or write blogs on them !) So I say, ridiculous yes, but go on Elly, keep 'em coming.

    ReplyDelete