Friday 5 February 2010

It Might Get Loud: two hours of my life I'll never get back

I saw Severin the other day.

Him: Do you want to watch a film?
Me: Sure, what do you want to see?
Him: There’s this movie with Jack White blah, blah, blah, blah
Me: Yeah sure. I love Jack White

I should have listened a bit better to what he was saying. If I had I might have saved myself two hours of utter boredom.

It Might Get Loud features Jimmy Page, the Edge and Jack White discussing all things guitars. It’s not necessarily a bad movie, it’s just got quite a specific audience. If you want to know everything about The Edge’s effects pedals or Jimmy Page’s fret boards then you’ll probably love it. The rest of us might just want to stick Seven Nation Army on our headphones and turn the volume right up.

Having said that there are some classic moments: from Jack White’s mini-me (complete with bowler hat and bow tie) being encouraged to jump up and down on the guitar he used in the White Stripes; to Jimmy Page playing along with The Edge to a U2 song and Jimmy Page persistently asking: “Are you playing that right? Surely it should be a D instead?” Only Jimmy Page could tell a member of U2 that they were playing their own tune wrong!

The film also sees The Edge admit that their music is only two notes and one hefty old effects peddle, a joke that Bill Bailey makes about them (83.50). The Edge seemed a bit out of place next to the likes of Page. Successful he maybe, but he’s hardly up there with the legends.

Well make you mind up for yourself. Rotten Tomatoes gives it 80% so I’m probably wrong anyway.


1 comment:

  1. I think it looks great, but then I play the guitar! It's really the legend, the charlatan & the wannabee isn't it. At least Jimmy Page got in early ripping of the early blues artists, mind you I do like the White Stripes. Though Jack White does owe Billy Childish, Mick Collins/Dirtbombs a bit ... and there are likeable things about U2. Shock! Not seen this one, but I think it'll be worth a watch http://alternative.artsalliancemedia.com/oilcity/

    ReplyDelete